Monday, April 28, 2008

This weekend was a busy one!

For starters, Phantom was absolutely PHENOMENAL!! I loved it so much. I really get caught up in the emotion of it all. I even was teary-eyed in a few places. We were in the third row so we were really up close in the action.

If the tickets didn't cost so much, I would probably want to go again. Even John said it would be nice to go again. Oh I would really love to go again. The only reason we won't is this:

We put a deposit down on this beautiful piano. It should be in our house in a couple of weeks.

I am completely THRILLED!!

Since forever I have wanted to play the piano. We actually had a lovely yellow piano when I was quite little. Unfortunately my mom had to sell it and certainly couldn't afford to pay for lessons. I still remember the day I came home for lunch and she told me. I was very devastated.

Anytime I would go to a friend's house (who had a piano) I would spend hours fiddling around on their piano, sounding out songs until I got the notes right. My poor friends thought I was coming over to play with them, but really I used them for their pianos. How sad is that?

I know that I have a good ear for music. I remember in grade 5 when they did the musical aptitude test I was told that I could play just about any instrument I wanted. Instead I chose one 0f the typical girly instruments: a clarinet.

I wish I could go back in time and challenge myself to try something more difficult and something that I would have wanted to play for more than 3 years. Ah well...can't change the past.

So instead I am moving forward! I will be signing both Brie and myself up for lessons in the fall. I don't know who is more excited. Honestly. I am as giddy as a school girl!

John says he is waiting for the day when I can play songs from The Phantom of the Opera. This may be at least a few years away, but I did see a book for easy piano. Hmm...gift ideas for him maybe?

On a completely different note, we got a message on Friday (after we had left town) from the Superintendant of the School Division. We called him back this morning and we are not very impressed.

He has no interest in discussing getting Brie into school this fall. All this because of 2 days. Our only option left is to appeal to the Director of Education, but our understanding is that he was at the meeting when they "discussed" our situation. I'm wondering if we weren't specific enough in our letter, but we wanted to remain professional and not just bragging about her, as parents often do. Bragging isn't a bad thing, maybe we didn't do enough of it. Agh. I just don't know. We probably will appeal, but at this point I don't think either one of us is hopeful. Any advice is very welcome!

0 comments: