One of my favorite shopping trips in the city is when I go to London Drugs.
Of all places, why would this be my favorite? Their prices certainly aren't any cheaper than anywhere else. In fact they are probably higher in most cases.
Unless you have coupons!!
As you see from my picture, I have 5 different coupons, all for Downy fabric softener. All coupons are valid and expire in May or June. The total for all of them is $4.00.
If I took all 5 of these coupons to London Drugs, I can use them all on 1 bottle of Downy. So a $6.00 bottle of fabric softener now only costs me $2.00! Yippee!!
This is called "stacking". Essentially you are stacking several coupons on one item. The only way you can do this is to have different bar codes on the coupons or different expiry dates. There can't be any duplicates of the exact same coupon. (As you will see in the above picture, no 2 are alike)
I started stacking when I was buying diapers, pullups, baby food/formula, wipes etc. As any parent knows, it gets very expensive. So I gave stacking a try!
The first time is very nerve-wracking. I have heard from other stackers that they too felt like they were almost stealing. Like a "start the car" moment at Ikea. However it is legit and it works!
So where do I get these coupons? Mostly from save.ca and the newspaper. Any big newspaper (not the Wynyard Advance unfortunately) will have regular issues of coupon booklets, such as the Clip N' Save or the Brandsaver. I used to actually trade with other couponers on frugalshopper but I found that it was sometimes not worth the effort to type up my list of stuff to trade. You can often find coupons at grocery stores in the aisles too.
My best ever experience at LD was a purchase that totalled $150 before coupons. After coupons it was about $50! So I saved $100. The customer behind me in line actually gasped loudly and asked how I did it. It makes me proud!
I don't go every month but I go when I have a good sized stack. I encourage you to give it a try, if you like to use coupons and/or save money!!
1 comments:
I'm very intrigued! So you can stack only at LD? Is that how it works? I love LD. I just dropped $112 there this weekend. Wish I'da had some coupons. I'm off to save.ca now.
Post a Comment