Friday, April 11, 2008

Getting Started

Well as I mentioned in a previous post, I am starting to work on making a quilt for Brie. I have been busy ripping seams from some old pants. I bought some fabric (gasp!). Today I started cutting.

So far I am quite pleased with the swiftness of it all. I actually bought a quilting kit off of Ebay for a reasonable price. It included a rotary cutter (sure beats scissors), a square ruler and a cutting board. I got to use it all today and I really like it all.


What does this say about me? I am enjoying QUILTING.

Well I guess technically I haven't started the actual quilting part yet....but it is going to happen.

Eventually.

You see, I have a very bad reputation for starting projects that are over my head/expertise and then I never finish it. I try one very small project and think I am a pro.

My niece is turning 11 this weekend. When my sister was pregnant with her I decided to start a cross-stitch baby announcement. I worked so hard that entire spring and summer while working at camp trying to finish the darn thing.

It never happened. I got tired of it and pushed it to the side, never to pick it up again.

I still feel bad.

It's been 11 years!

I don't think I should bother finishing it now.

Good thing I don't have a deadline for this quilt. Hopefully I will have it finished by the time she graduates school. Hopefully her favorite color is still red.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, you are ambitious!!! Good for you:) I don't finish things either though, I started crocheting at one point in the past 9 years and such good intentions to make blankets for all the homeless people - well I got as far as making a small blanket for my cat!!! And let's not even talk about how I still need to finish Teagan's first year scrapbook!!! So your not alone:) Looking forward to seeing your finished product.
Carissa

Unknown said...

I love the fabric. What a wonderful thing to do for your daughter!