Friday, June 20, 2008

Express Holiday # 1

Last night we arrived at home after our rushed 5 day trip to Alberta!

Everyone had a wonderful time, visiting with family, getting spoiled and enjoying some touristy things too.

We were especially proud of how well the girls did travelling on those long 7-8 hour days.

Driving to Edmonton went flawlessly! I must say that magnetic books are absolutely wonderful for car trips. I packed lots of toys/books/movies/music/snacks to help keep me the girls sane.

We were also a little worried about how Ella was going to handle the potty training on the road. Although she rarely has accidents and sleeps dry at night, she has yet to poop in the potty. So this week she was terrified to go and ended up almost constipated after 2 days of nothing. On the drive home from Calgary yesterday she was literally screaming in agony; partially from losing her sanity, partially from needing to go. In our brief stop in Saskatoon I decided to take off the panties and let her go in a diaper. I know it's not the best option for potty training, but it's better than a grumpy constipated child. She (and the rest of us) were much happier for the remaining 2 hour drive. Actually she slept for most of those 2 hours.

That was the only time that one of our children slept in the van. They almost never sleep in a vehicle. Which is just like me. Can I just say that it really sucks to be exhausted or bored and not be able to sleep on those long trips? There is proof out there somewhere that I have actually slept, (it's a horrible, nasty picture of me with my mouth hanging open) but those rare moments only last for a few short minutes at most.

We had a great time in Sherwood Park/Edmonton. The first day we went to Galaxyland and took in the Toddler Time. That place rocks! For $8.00 the girls could ride on whatever they wanted and one of us got to go with them for free. We did lots of train rides (Ella's favorite!!), car/plane circles, ferris wheel, merry go round, and Brie's favorite which was a big shocker to us all......the "Cosmic Bounce". This would be the kiddy version of the drop of doom. I went with her the first time and I absolutely hated it.

I have never been a "ride person". Once when I was a youth sponsor after college, I travelled with some kids to Six Flags in the US. I decided to be "brave" and try the ship. You know, the ship that rocks back and forth. Not even the one that goes all the way around in a circle. Nope. Just the rocking one. I was terrified! I sat in the middle and my legs shook the entire time. Some stupid sweet little 6-year-old kid was trying to reassure me from the other side of the mesh screen in the middle. I did not appreciate his attempts. I hated it. I hated the ride.

Just like I hated the Cosmic Bounce. Brie, however, screamed with delight each time we took a drop. At the beginning, I hung onto to her leg to make sure that she wouldn't be scared. In the end, I kept hanging on because I was scared. How messed up am I? John, on the other hand, rode the big roller coaster 10 times that day. I guess opposites really do attract.

I always thought Ella would be the "ride person". The girls went on the little dragon rolller coaster and she cried afterwards, saying that she didn't want to go on it again. Brie loved it. Her and 3 other girls screamed with delight the entire ride. It was very funny to witness. Maybe Ella will change her mind with time, but for now she loves train rides. She had a breakdown at the Calgary Zoo when I wouldn't let her go on the train there. Sorry, but for a 4 minute ride, it's not worth the $3.00. I paid $8.00 at Galaxyland and she went on a few dozen rides. Call me cheap, but I don't care!

We also got to take in the Science Center in Edmonton which was a lot of fun. The girls enjoyed the kid section the most. Shocking, I know!

In Calgary we stayed overnight at a hotel and took in some watersliding. The girls absolutely loved the pool, and as there was no one else in there at the time we were loud and had lots of fun together!
Here's a variety of pictures from our trip. I will try to post more on Facebook later on.













1 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I hate the ship too!!! I near barfed the last time I was on it (in highschool). Blah.