Sunday, March 9, 2008

They Don't Mix

This week I was asked to lead singing at church while my friend Kristi played piano. We are happy to help out, especially since this allows us to sing more "current" songs. I still remember when we moved here and the pianist introduced a new song "Praise The Name of Jesus". I believe that song is circa 1970. She called it a new song. In 2005 it was a New song! Very sad. I don't think our church congregation will ever be ready for the likes of Chris Tomlin unfortunately. So we listen to praise and worship music a lot at home. Lately Ella has been singing along which is so neat to watch. She has an amazing pitch and she always sings with a smile on her face. Even if she doesn't know the words she sings along.

While us 2 moms were going to the front to lead, we were leaving our children to behave themselves in the pews. Apparently this is easier said than done. Brie is a great kid, who always listens to instruction. Unfortunately if she watches other kids getting away with stuff......then she figures she should be able to do it also. So there I am at the front of the church, singing into the microphone, while Ella is running up on stage and Brie is running into the room that is just off to the side of the front. Sigh. What was I supposed to do? Stop leading the singing to yell at the girls to sit down? Kristi's son Sam was also on the stage and he was interfering with the overhead. Not distracting at all. Big sigh.

This is when I wish that my husband worked a 9-5 Mon-Fri type of job. Not going to happen. Last night he worked until 3 am. He came home to sleep, was on call all morning, and went back to work at 2 pm today. He is the only person working today. Another sigh. It's not fun being the one who "HAS" to take the kids to church by myself. They don't really get anything out of church, except playing with their few friends. No one ever offers to watch the kids so that we can actually hear an Entire sermon front to back. It's very hard to come home feeling frustrated, once again. But we keep going. I have faith that things will get better. Once we find out the results of the NCD survey we filled out recently, we should be able to make some good changes.

Is it bad to already be thinking and praying about the church we will be in next? After all, we will still be here for another couple of years, for sure.

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Oh man, sounds tough. I totally hear you about the difficulty of taking kids to church (and we only have one so far!) and we usually both go! But its still frusterating to have one of us miss most of the service and have the other one sit alone. So, I can't imagine how tiring that must be for you.
I'm glad you're getting a chance to lead sometimes...reminds me of the old days at Lawson! :o)
And, hey - cute artwork - I'll just say it here, instead of commenting twice. Your girls are so sweet.

kelle said...

Jen, I just found your blog! I'm sorry to hear about your day at church. That must be tough! I can't believe no one offered to watch your kids for you. Totally sucks!

Unknown said...

Hey lady! Thanks for commenting on my blog. Long time, no see.

My husband works shiftwork too and church has become a near impossibilty for me on the days he's working. So, I feel your pain...in the music area too. I loved our church in Vancouver when we were living there. Made it tough to come up here (Northern Alberta). But here we are.

You're girls are adorable by the way!