Saturday, May 17, 2008

Not Much to Say

Sorry for the lack of posts this week (who hasn't heard that one before?) but there just hasn't been much that is "blog worthy".

Last night was Wynyard's second inter-denominational worship service. It is named "Unload", which sounds very contemporary and non-threatening. Although I was disappointed with the lack of people there, it was still very refreshing and encouraging. Plus, it was nice to help lead singing again. By that, I mean singing that isn't a song that is 30-150 years old. Current songs that may or may not be on some CDs at home.

I actually got teary-eyed at one point because I was watching Brie. She was sitting close to the front and trying to sing along while reading the words on the screen! She is only 4 and she is such a great reader already!!

Yesterday was actually a discouraging day. We finally heard back from the Director of the School Board. All we got was another "No". She can't go into K this fall because her birthday is 2 days late. No exceptions. It doesn't matter if she is a bonifide genius, there are no exceptions. However, we are welcome to make an appointment with the director but the answer will still be "no. Nice.

I'm trying hard not to be bitter, but I really wish that someone would take us seriously and look at all of Brie's skills (most of which are learned in K anyways) and make a decision based on her abilities, not her birth date.

Aside from appealing to higher authorities, there is not much else we can do. There was just an announcement a couple of weeks ago about the elementary school being approved for a "pre-K" program. Mostly it is designed for at-risk, low income families, which really doesn't apply to us. However because some of these children would be considered "special needs", they also want to have some role-model children. This pre-K will be run 4 mornings a week (as opposed to the regular 2 morning preschool) and is taught by someone with a Bachelors of Education, not just a ECE/ECD diploma. A friend of mine will most likely be teaching it in 2009 but she thinks we should consider this for Brie. It is an application process (to determine who is most needy and because the program can only hold so many children) so it's not even a sure thing that she would get in.

So it's not preschool (per say) but it's also not Kindergarten. Agh! I just don't know what to do.

******************************************

On a completely different note...

Ella has been such a cutie lately. She just coined my new favorite term "cheek munchkin". Essentially it is a kiss on the cheek, but doesn't cheek munchkin sound so much sweeter? I just love having sweet kids!

With the nice warm weather we have finally been getting, we pulled out the sprinklers yesterday. The girls had a great time. John had fun squeezing the hose the then releasing it to try to squirt them both. Ahh...the squeals of delight could be heard from blocks away I'm sure!

3 comments:

Kerrie's Musings said...

I still say to talk to your MLA and the minister of education about Brie. And there always is that OTHER alternative :)

Tarasview said...

Both my kids have done the pre-k program (same as the one you are talking about) and We LOVE it!!! Love it! Aiden did great and Owen is in it now and loves it. I plan on putting Olivia in once she is old enough too. It really is just like kindergarten. I definitely recommend it!

Unknown said...

You are in a tough position with Brie. I think I'd be frustrated too. Will's been tested this year (in kindergarten) and was tested as gifted. This qualifies him for extra funding in Alberta (I don't know about SK). Will's reading at a grade 2/3 level and is finding "learning" in kindergarten quite boring. But, socially, he's nowhere near able to handle older kids, so keeping him with peers his age is a priority for us.

I have a cousin who skipped a grade years ago because he really was gifted...and it ended up being a real disadvantage for him later in life.

Anyways, all that to say, you'll likely have to work closely with her teachers through her elementary career to help her stay interested in things. It's both a blessing and a curse, but I'm sure everything'll work out in the end. Pre-K is very popular up here too and I'm planning to put Nate in it next year. It's likely something she'd love...you should look into it.