Caution: Mommy Bragging Ahead!
Last night Brie read her very first book from start to finish! Hop On Pop by Dr. Seuss. It's quite a long book to read, 64 pages to be exact. She only needed help with a few words, like "out". I still can't believe how well she does with different letter combinations, like "sh" "wh" or "th". So amazing! My little 4 year old is reading, and doing a great job already. This is definitely a big deal in our household. She was so excited that she actually read the entire book twice last night. Very cute to watch! I have some video of it, but I'm not quite computer savvy enough to figure out how to transfer it from the camcorder to this blog. Maybe in time I will figure it out?!? (Wish me luck...I may need it!)
Anyways, I've been noticing lately just how messed up our English language really is. Trying to reach Brie to sound out words doesn't always work. Rhyming words don't always look the same (two, blue, shoe, new, boo). Very confusing! I'm so glad that she is smart and has a great memory. Not too long ago she was spelling words as she hears them. Balrenu (ballerina) is the one we are most impressed with. She just totally takes the initiative to figure it out on her own, without asking for help.
The only problem now, is what do I do with her for the next year and half before she starts kindergarten? The cutoff for school is Dec. 31 and Brie's birthday is Jan. 2. So she misses kindergarten by about 36 hours. Poor girl. Lots of people tell us that it is a good thing to be the oldest in a class, but we are worried that she will be really bored and end up not trying (like both John and I did in our much younger years). I'm considering looking up some homeschooling stuff, not to actually take on that task myself but just to keep her mind active and challenged. Preschool, although fun, is not really a learning experience for her. She is only there to get the social interaction that she needs once a week. If she wants to learn, we will teach her. Definitely have to encourage this road she in on!
Monday, February 11, 2008
My Little Genius
at 10:39 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment