Ah, the sights and sounds of spring are really here!!
Today was a great day to be outside, I think we got up to 26 today!! WOOHOO!!
John cleaned out the van and thoroughly washed it, inside and out.
Meanwhile I was working hard cleaning up the front yard. I filled 3 garbage bags of leaves and miscellaneous dead plants from my flowerbeds. I just can't seem to get it all done in the fall. Mostly because fall is somewhat depressing because it means that winter is coming. So I do a small clean up and leave the remaining stuff to have a long rest in the yard.
Spring, however, is completely different for me. I feel motivated and excited to be outdoors.
This little guy was in my yard to greet me today. A very stealthy frog, if you can c
all them that. He kept trying to hide under the old leaves, and with his coloring he was quite successful at blending into his surroundings. Almost like a chameleon.
Anyways, I took a picture of it because it's strange. Last year we found a frog in our backyard, in the middle of the grass. The cats were very entertained by this hopping creature. They would sniff it, and paw at it, and then freak out and jump backwards when the frog would try to escape. I thought it was a one-time experience last year, but apparently it must be common to see frogs in one's yard here.
Speaking of my cats, Jessie is at it already.
It is springtime which means one thing for her.
Catching mice.
She left us a "present" in the backyard yesterday.
I am not suprised at all.
Last year she left us at least 3-4 dozen. I didn't actually count because I was too grossed out at the decapitated, disembowelled creatures lying all over my deck and yard. Somedays there are multiple "presents". I really wish she would enjoy eating them so I wouldn't be constantly cleaning them up. It's gross. Especially when there are wasps trying to eat the dead rodents. Very disgusting. We try to clean them up quickly so the girls are not playing with the disgusting things, but sometime Jessie is quicker than we are.
I really am proud of her for being such a good mouser. She is an overweight, ungraceful cat at times. Apparently these things do not slow her down in the hunting season.
Bailey, our other cat, is the slender, more attractive looking of the two. He has reflexes like no other, but he lacks the stealth needed in hunting. (Maybe he should talk to the frog!) Although he catches some birds and mice, it's nothing like Jessie.
So the cleanup begins.
Should I keep a tally of dead rodents this year?
Part of me is morbidly curious as to how many "presents" we will receive this year.
One down, X to go.
Actually I quite like most yard creatures. Today we were already enjoying seeing some butterflies.
For the last couple of years I have been buying perennials to attract more butterflies and hummingbirds. It has been quite successful so I am looking forward to what this year will bring. I'm hoping to get another hummingbird feeder and place it on the opposite end of the yard. Maybe I can get more than one bird a year then!!

0 comments:
Post a Comment